Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Easy Dairy-Free Chicken & Dumplings



With our chicken leftovers this week, I decided to make chicken & dumplings.  After some Google searching, I was glad to see that this can be done without cream of chicken or mushroom soup.  Instead, I just used homemade chicken broth, and the consistency turned out like a chicken noodle soup.  If you don't want to make your own broth (although I HIGHLY recommend it), Swanson's chicken broth is dairy-free (check labels!).  

For the dumplings, I used Original Bisquick mixed with Silk Original Almond Milk and a little of the chicken broth from the pot.  


I adapted this recipe from About.com.  


DAIRY-FREE CHICKEN & DUMPLINGS
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 
  • 1 t. dried thyme
  • 2 T. flour 
  • 1 14.5 ounce chicken stock (homemade or Swanson's dairy-free)
  • 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, diced
  • 1/2 bag of frozen vegetable (any combo of peas, carrots, green beans, etc)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 2 cups Bisquick
  • 1/3 cup dairy-free milk
In a medium pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, and thyme. Stirring occasionally, cook until the onions are translucent, about 4-6 minutes. Add the 2 T. flour, whisking constantly until combined, and cook about 30-45 seconds. Gradually add the stock, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium low, add the chicken and frozen veggies and cover. Cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Make the dumpling batter by mixing 2 cups of original or low fat Bisquick with 1/3 cup dairy-free milk and 1/3 cup of your chicken broth from the pot.  
Drop the batter, a spoonful at a time, into the simmering broth.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Cook for 10 minutes uncovered.  Then cook another 10 minutes covered until dumplings are cooked through.  Serve hot.  

4 comments:

Shelly said...

This recipe looks so good now only if I could get my husband to eat dumplings.

Matty Thomas said...

This recipe seems easy and delicious. As we get closer to Christmas, we are getting so busy that it can be hard to find time to eat well! On behalf of the active single adults living with food allergies, thank you for sharing and Merry Christmas to your family.

Anonymous said...

I'm making this recipe right now. But I'm stuck. The 2T flour + 1.5 cups divided. I see where the 2T are used but where is the 1.5 cups being used. I guess I'll have to wing it. Your recipe has been up here for a while, so I don't know if you'll respond. Please reply if you can. Still looking forward to trying this.

Jamie Kaufmann said...

Anonymous, I'm sorry, I hope you got it worked out. You were right, there was extra flour in there...not needed because I used Bisquick instead. I fixed it but sure hope it worked out for you! Thanks for letting me know.