Thursday, June 20, 2013

Egg-Free and Wheat-Free Meatballs



Originally posted in Feb 2010.  

My boys think it's a real novelty to be served meatballs.  I am usually more inclined to cook ground burger for pasta dishes, but when I take the extra time to make meatballs...I acquire rock star status.  :)  

Finding an egg-free meatball was really tricky at first.  Then I finally found a tasty, egg-free recipe at Speedbumpkitchen.  We used that recipe for several years.  

Now I am cutting wheat from my own diet and on this particular night, I didn't want to be left out of the meatball fun!  I knew immediately that replacing crumbled crackers with oats would be the way to go.  

So I came up with this little recipe, and it was a hit. 

EGG-FREE & WHEAT-FREE MEATBALLS
1 onion
1 clove minced garlic
1 pound ground burger
1/2 cup quick oats
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 Tb olive oil

Preheat oven to 375

Saute onion and garlic in a little oil.  

Mix sauteed onion and garlic and rest of ingredients well in a large bowl.

Form balls and bake for about 20 minutes.  I made mine the size of golf balls and 20 minutes was perfect.  Internal temp should reach 160 degrees although I always go a little over.  Disease phobia.  

I loved cooking my meatballs in my cast iron skillet.  Then I just moved it to the stove top, added sauce, and heated until hot and bubbly.  You can also cook the meatballs on a cookie sheet and then move them to a stove safe skillet.  

I served the meatballs and sauce over spaghetti noodles (rice noodles in my case), and we used the leftovers for a couple meatball sandwiches at lunch.  


4 comments:

Katrina said...

Trader Joes makes dairy/egg free meatballs if you have one nearby

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insight into egg and wheat free meatballs!
I adapted your recipe slightly, using ground lamb and mint! They had a spectacular scent while roasting in the oven, and then when I added my home made pasta sauce, voila!

CaribbeanSailor

Jamie Kaufmann said...

That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing, so glad they worked out for you!

Anonymous said...

Do u actually have the original recipe from speed bump kitchen??? That was my go to recipe but now I can no longer get the website to come up on my computer!!!!
I am trying Ur recipe tonite

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...